Are you in the process of selling your Dublin property? See Henry Wiltshire’s guide on how to secure a speedy closing on your house sale!

So, you’ve instructed an estate agent to sell your Dublin property. Cleaned and staged your home for viewings and found the perfect purchasers. Finally, you have accepted an offer on your property.

You can relax now, right? Henry Wiltshire wants you to know the ins and outs on closing a property sale. It’s not just a simple case of finding a buyer and letting it run its own course. There is a lot to do and time can be of the essence during this very busy period.

First Things First

Get your mortgage & finances in order

If you are selling your home to trade up, you may need a mortgage for the next property. Going to see your bank or broker and discovering how much you can borrow is imperative. Gathering all of the paperwork for them can be time consuming so best to get it done first.

If your property is in negative equity you will need permission to proceed from the bank also. They will put a plan in place for repayment of the negative equity after the sale. When you have approval in principal you are good to make your next move.

Appoint a solicitor

Finding a solicitor should be one of the first things you do as soon as the decision to sell is made. They will need to procure documents on your behalf and you will be asked to look over and sign various pieces of paperwork.

If you already have a mortgage and are selling, the solicitor will need to request your title deeds from your mortgage provider. This can take 3-4 weeks as they are generally stored offsite. Once this is done there are many more items of paperwork you will need to see and sign.

The sooner you instruct a solicitor the better. It will serve you well to prepare in advance.

What documents do you need to complete the house sale?

In addition to any documentation you may need for the bank and solicitor, other important documents you will need are:

  • Title Deeds – Your solicitor will ask you to sign a written authority to request your deeds, as discussed above. The bank will charge a small fee for their recovery. Once they are received your solicitor will then know what other documents will be needed. Some will already be with your deeds and therefore will not need to be requested.
  • Building Energy Rating Certificate (BER cert) – It is illegal to offer a house for sale without a BER Certificate. The certificate may already be with the deeds if you purchased the house recently. If not, you will need to commission one.
  • NPPR certificate – The Government introduced a €200 annual charge on non-principal private residences, payable to the Local Authority in the area where the residence is located. On receipt of proof of payment, the Local Authority will issue a certificate of discharge. If, however the property was your primary residence you will have to prove that you are the owner of the house and that you lived there at appropriate dates in order to receive an exemption certificate.
  • Water Rates – The selling solicitor must ensure that your water rates are paid up to date and proof of this is needed.
  • New Title Map – If your house has been registered with the more modern Land Registry a map can be ordered for €40 and will arrive within a few working days. If your property is registered in the older registry (Registry of Deeds), this is a slightly more complicated process and will involve hiring an Architect/Engineer and re-registering the title.
  • Marital Status – Your solicitor must prepare a declaration which will exhibit your marital status.
  • Irish PPS Numbers – You cannot sell a property in Ireland without an Irish PPS number. To get one if you are a non-resident is taking up to eight weeks currently.
  • Planning Documentation – You must be in a position to prove that the house was built in compliance with planning permission and designed and built in compliance within building regulations. Proof must be from a qualified Architect or Engineer. Planning problems need to be identified as soon as possible as they can take some time to solve and may impede the sale.
  • Declaration of Identity – If the property is in a rural area and on its own site you will need a declaration of identity. This is a declaration signed by an Architect or Engineer confirming that the site on the ground and all of the services for the house are comprised within the map attached to your title deeds. Boundary issues must be settled before a buyer is found.

Organisation is Key

As you can see there is a lot of paperwork involved. Getting all relevant documentation ready at the earliest possible stage is the secret to a successful and speedy sale. Engaging with your solicitor as soon as you decide to put your house on the market is vital and will save time and possibly money in the long-term.

Sell your Dublin home with Henry Wiltshire Terenure

If you have an apartment or house to sell in south Dublin, contact our Henry Wiltshire office in Terenure today about our special limited time offers for sellers, including sales fees of just 1%.

If you have any other question regarding selling a home, give our sales team a call. We would love to hear from you and are there to help you in any way we can.

See all Selling News >